Illinois State University
Illinois State University
Jump over the College navigation bar.

Illinois State University Junior High Band Camp

Frequently Asked Questions


What do I need to do before camp?

What do I bring to camp?

  • Your health history/parental consent form- IMPORTANT! (included in this packet)
  • Your instrument (ISU will provide percussion equipment as needed)
  • Any needed accessories (valve oil, extra reeds, cork grease, etc.)
  • Audition music and your prepared solo or etude (optional) for a brief audition
  • A portable music stand (if possible)
  • Pencils for taking notes and marking music
  • Comfortable shoes for walking around campus
  • Water bottle (it’s summer and we will be traveling between buildings)
  • Enough comfortable clothes for the week of classes and recreational activities
  • A white shirt/blouse and black pants/skirt for the final concert on Saturday
  • Personal toiletries (soap, shampoo, toothbrush, etc.)
  • Towels, washcloth, blanket, (sheets, pillow and pillowcases are provided)
  • Alarm clock optional (we will make sure you are up on time!)
  • A light jacket and rain gear or umbrella
  • Recreational items (baseball glove, swimsuit, sidewalk chalk, etc.)
  • Any miscellaneous personal needs/medications (DO NOT BRING TYLENOL/IBUPROFEN)
  • Your best talent and any materials you may need for the annual talent show (optional, but encouraged!)
  • Bathing suit and towel for the pool if you wish to swim

REMINDER : due to the large number of camp participants, please ensure all belongings (including instruments) are labeled with your name, address, and phone number.

Should I bring any money?

Resident campers will receive a wristband for meals:  $6.15 for breakfast, $8.65 for lunch and $10.00 for dinner.  These prices also apply to commuter campers.  Com muter LUNCHES are included in their registration fee.  Commuters who wish to eat in the dining centers for dinners can either pay at registration OR pay via debit/credit card at each mealtime.  NO CASH ACCEPTED IN THE DINING HALL.

What if I need special dietary accommodations?

We are able to make accommodations for most individuals who have allergies or must avoid gluten. We do our best to make your visit to campus a positive experience. Please contact the ISU Band Office at (309) 438-2166 prior to the start of camp.

What if I have prescription medications?

Parents should stop by our Camp Nurse's table to drop off medications at Check-In on Sunday. Medications may be picked up when students move out of their dorms on Saturday in the same place. The camp nurse can distribute OTC medications (Tylenol, Ibuprofen, etc).

How can I reach a camper?

Campers may receive mail until Friday while at camp. We recommend sending mail early in the week to ensure that it arrives in time. You can even send it before camp starts!

Please address camper mail as follows:

"Camper Name" c/o ISU Jr. High Band Camp
Illinois State University
School of Music- Bands
Campus Box 5660
Normal, IL 61790-5660

In an emergency, call: 
ISU Band Office: (309) 438-2166 

Please note that this number is for emergencies only. If campers must make a call during the week, phones will be available in your dorm room and long distance calls may be made with a calling/credit card.

What are the recreational activities for the week?

Recreational activities for 2019 are currently being planned and will be posted here when that information is available. Activities will take place after dinner each evening until approximately 9:30pm. (Pickup time is 9:30pm for commuter campers who wish to participate in evening activities.)


2019-05-14T11:33:42.405-05:00 2019